Friday 7 May 2010

Host Families - Laconia Rotary Club – Monday 26th April till Saturday 1st May














Hayley
I was lucky enough to be welcomed into Jim and Kathleen Sherman’s Home in Gilford which was about 10 minutes from Laconia. Jim and Kathleen have a daughter and son who both kindly changed their sleeping arrangements to welcome me into their home.
Kathleen’s sister lives in England so English tea is a normal drink; something that I welcomed! Kathleen also had a stash of Cadbury’s Chocolate and White Wine, a great recipe for a night in. I felt very much at home and Kathleen is an amazing cook; so the continued theme of the trip is that I am eating very well!!!

Abi
Bonnie Hunt and her husband Bob Maloney were my hosts during our stay with the Laconia Rotary Club. I was staying in the town of Holderness overlooking the beautiful lakes region not far from Meredith. Bonnie constantly kept the team fed with her famous blueberry muffins and scones and was an excellent guide showing us the local sites including the shops and the wonderful Church Landing Inn. Unfortunately I didn’t get the opportunity to go out on Bob’s bass boat but I guess that gives me an excuse to come back and visit! Thank you again for all the food, driving and wonderful hospitality.

Richard
I stayed with Ginny and Miller Lovett in their beautiful home on Lake Winnipesaukee. We had a great time together, particularly at the Meredith club meeting and the story telling dinner at the Corner House Inn in Sandwich. It was lovely to look out on the lake each morning and was able to see it in rain, sunshine and snow!
Charlotte
I stayed with Jim and Cindi in Meredith. I have fallen in love with this place! Their house is right on the lake and it is all so beautiful - I was made very welcome. A highlight of my time with Jim and Cindi was the story telling evening at the Corner Inn and also hiking up Rattlesnake Mountain (no snakes!) and stopping for snacks at the top. It was so lovely and relaxing and great to spend time with them - such lovely, kind people. I am certain I will come back to New Hampshire in the future.

Ruth
My new home is right by the lake and I was made very welcome by John and Suzanne Perley (RC Laconia). John was very good about collecting the van several times and ensuring that it was at the right place for the next morning. We had some nice meals at home and also ate out several times. Even the cats became more relaxed with me and the darker one finally came up to me and let me stroke her.
Although not a planned vocational session, my hosts had invited their neighbor Nancy to dinner and the information and history she gave me on the development of the role of nurse practitioners in New England was as good as a vocational day. Nancy has her own practice as a Primary Care Giver and is well respected and well known in the area. Patients register with her as they would a GP back home.
I was sorry to say goodbye to Suzanne and John as they are such a nice couple who made me very welcome. They had never hosted before but say they will again. Thank you both so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment