Wednesday 12 May 2010

Hosts – Rutland South and West Rutland Rotary Clubs – Wednesday 5th May – Monday 10th May







Hayley
I was greeted at our first lunch by Bill who was to be my host for the five day stay in Rutland. Bill took me to a lovely restaurant on the first night called Table 24. Nancy, Bill’s wife had a golf tournament!
After far too much Ben and Jerry’s I also dug my running shoes out of my case and went for a run!! It wasn’t a very long one but it has got me back into the swing of things. Bill and Nancy made me feel at home straight away and also gave me lots of time to catch up with work and blog information!!
Mothers Day was on the Sunday but we decided to give our families some space and some of us met in Downtown for lunch. A really lovely stay with a wonderful couple!

Richard
In Rutland I stayed with Jayne and Dan Pratt. They have a beautiful home with a view through the mountains out to New York State. We had a great time together with lovely home cooked food and a fun night out for pizza. Jayne is the town clerk and Dan is an architect. I was well looked after and enjoyed getting to know them.

Abi and Charlotte
Charlotte and Abi stayed with Kathy, Wil and Kathy's son, Robert, at their beautiful home in Chittenden. We were delighted when we met Dexter, the 10 week old golden retriever puppy! Baxter the cat was also a very friendly chap. We were made to feel so welcome in their home and it was a wonderful place to relax with the family after a busy day. We saw sunshine, rain and even snow during our 5 day stay! Kathy and Wil hosted the Rotary party on Saturday which was lovely and a great chance for us to get to know everyone. Thank you so much to Kathy and Wil for having us to stay. We would love to come back!

Ruth
There had been a last minute switch round of hosts but Teresa is a hoot and I had a real fun time (am I beginning to sound American?). I gave her my box of Westminster Crackers that we had been given that afternoon after touring the factory. On the first evening we went to the home of Michelle, her work colleague, where we met Michelle’s son Carlton and Barbara another work colleague for Cinqa de Mayo (5th of May). Michelle is great crafter so we had a chat about felted knitting and lots of other crafts that will bore you none-crafters. That was the most potent sangria I’ve ever had Michelle but also a great meal. Teresa with Nancy and Peggy, also from RC South Rutland accompanied us on our ‘Vermont Day or ‘eating’ day out’ to the Morse Syrup house and Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory and I think they had almost as much fun as we did. I think Richard might have felt outnumbered by 7 women to one compared to the usual 4:1 but he didn’t seem to suffer too much. Moooooving swiftly on (you had to have been there). The next evening Michelle, Carlton and Linda, another colleague, joined us at Teresa’s home where we had dinner then played ‘ in a pickle’ – a great game that I’ve never played before. It’s great for taxing the brain but tremendous fun – I managed to win two hands but Linda won the game with 5.
Friday evening, Teresa, Patrick and I had ‘friends’ to dinner – a whole lobster each. That was fun and messy but very tasty. Church on Sunday – May 9th Mothers Day, then time to relax by a wood burning stove while Teresa visited relatives and Patrick set about some yard work then preparing dinner. A delicious steak for dinner with young asparagus and corn. We exchanged gifts and I was delighted to receive my very own ‘in a pickle’. Teresa joined us at RC West Rutland, another breakfast club then it was time to say goodbye. Thank you so much for the hosting and the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment